The Capilano Suspension Bridge sways 70 metres above the Capilano River. This 137-metre-long suspension bridge draws hundreds of thousands of visitors each year and is one of Vancouver’s most popular attractions. Due to its height, people with vertigo may want to skip the opportunity to walk over this narrow bridge.
In 1888, Scottish engineer George Grant Mackay bought 6,000 acres of land on each side of the Capilano River. To connect the two sides, he built a suspension bridge with hemp rope and wooden planks. The materials were transported to the other side by horses that swam across the river. After his death in 1903, the ropes were replaced with steel cables. In 1956, the bridge was completely rebuilt in 5 days by Rae Mitchell, who was the owner at the time. Through his enthusiastic promotion of the renovated bridge, it was soon transformed into a tourist attraction.