Passport and visa
On this page:
Which travel documents do I need?
Every country has its own rules for visitors of various nationalities. Here you can check whether you need a visa and whether there are any other important rules, such as passport validity.
- Children of European Union citizens travelling from, to or through countries in the European Union need to carry their own passport or ID card. Having their names entered in their parent’s passport is no longer permitted. This rule does not apply to document holders of the United Kingdom or Ireland.
- Travellers to the United States may also need to request ESTA travel authorisation.
Apply for your visa online
If you are departing from Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States, and you need a visa, you can apply conveniently online via My Trip. Our partner CIBT will gladly arrange your application from A to Z. If only a visa is required, My Trip will offer you this option.
Apply for your visa to Kenya onlineFor travellers to Kenya who need a visa, the visa application can only be done online. As from 1 September 2015, it is no longer possible to arrange for this at the airport. Apply for your visa to Kenya online via the eCitizen portal .
Changing entry rules for Canada
As from 15 March 2016, it will be mandatory for travellers to or via Canada to show an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before boarding their flight. You can apply for an eTA online via the website of the Canadian authorities . This rule does not apply to document holders of the United States or travellers with a valid visa for Canada.
API - Advance Passenger Information
The authorities in many countries require us to collect various types of personal information on our passengers. We will ask you to provide these if necessary for your trip. You can enter your API details online in My Trip or when you check in or at the airport. You can also provide your API details via your travel agent.
API data includes information on the machine-readable zone on your passport:
- Family name and first name
- Date of birth, gender and nationality
- Passport number, issuing country and expiry date
- Country of residence and temporary address where you will be staying (for travel to the United States only) including the house number, street, city/town, abbreviation used for the state and the zip code.
When travelling to the United States, there are some exceptions in which you do not have to provide Advance Passenger Information.
If you do not want to enter these details online, you can also fill out and hand in the API form.
Europe (Schengen area*)
New: as of July 19, 2013, when crossing the Schengen area´s borders, any citizen of a country located outside the Schengen area (regardless of visa requirements) must possess a passport that is valid for at least 3 months after the intended departure date from the Schengen area. The passport must have been issued within the last 10 years.
* The Schengen area includes 26 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.