On this page:
Booked a flight? Check My Trip!
The actual baggage allowance can differ per flight. That’s why we always show you the exact baggage details for your trip when you book, in your booking confirmation, on your ticket and in My Trip.
General free hand baggage allowance
Economy Class on European and intercontinental flights
- 1 x hand baggage max. 55 x 35 x 25 cm (21,5 x 13,5 x 10 inch)
- 1 accessory, e.g. a handbag, briefcase or laptop, max. 40 x 30 x 15 cm (16 x 12 x 6 inch)
- Total weight max. 12 kg (26 lbs).
- 2 x hand baggage, each max. 55 x 35 x 25 cm (21,5 x 13,5 x 10 inch)
- 1 accessory, e.g. a handbag, briefcase or laptop max. 40 x 30 x 15 cm (16 x 12 x 6 inch)
- Total weight max. 18 kg (40 lbs)
- Large bags that do meet the hand luggage requirements may still need to be checked in at the gate free of charge, due to limited space in overhead bins in the cabin. Please stow small bags underneath the seat in front of you.
- We strongly recommend to view your personal luggage allowance in My Trip for KLM flights. Please check the websites of other airlines in your itinerary for their (hand) baggage policy.
General free check-in baggage allowance
- 1 x check-in baggage: L + W + H max. 158 cm (62 inch) and in total max. 23 kg (50 lbs).
- Flying Blue Silver-, Gold- and Platinum members and SkyTeam Elite- and Elite Plus-members can bring 2 pieces of check-in baggage of the same dimensions and weight.
- Hand baggage only. If you would like to bring more baggage you can purchase the extra baggage online with a discount during your booking or in My Trip
- Flying Blue Silver-, Gold- and Platinum members and SkyTeam Elite- and Elite Plus-members can bring 2 pieces of check-in baggage L + W + H max. 158 cm (62 Inch), in total max. 23 kg (50 lbs). Flying Blue Ivory members have the same baggage allowance as regular passengers.
- 2 x check-in baggage: L + W + H each max. 158 cm (62 inch) and may weigh each max. 32 kg (70,5 lbs)
- Flying Blue Silver-, Gold- and Platinum members and SkyTeam Elite- and Elite Plus-members can bring 3 pieces of check-in baggage of the same dimensions and weight. Flying Blue Ivory members have the same baggage allowance as regular passengers.
Good to know
- If you bought an upgrade to Business Class during check-in or at a self-service machine, the baggage allowance on your original ticket still applies.
- Dimensions of your baggage include any handles and wheels.
Children and babies travelling in their own booked seat may bring the same amount of hand baggage and check-in baggage as an adult.
For a child younger than 2 years who will be travelling on your lap, you may bring:
- 1 piece of hand baggage with baby care items: max. 12 kg / 26 lbs and max. 55 x 35 x 25 cm / 22 x 14 x 10 in
- 1 piece of check-in baggage: max 10 kg / 22 lbs.
Baggage and transferring
If your trip includes a transfer, your check-in baggage will usually be sent to your final destination. The baggage claim tag that you receive when dropping off your baggage always states your bag’s final destination.
When transferring, you only need to collect your baggage and check it in again for your connecting flight, if:
- You have purchased 2 or more tickets from different airlines that have dissimilar conditions
- You transfer from a KLM flight to a domestic flight (for example in the United States)
- You arrive at one airport and your connecting flight departs from another airport
- Your transfer lasts longer than 12 hours or your next flight departs the next day. When transferring at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol or Paris-Charles de Gaulle, you can ask for your baggage to be sent to your final destination.
- Part of your journey is by bus or rail
Electronic devices check for flights to the United States and Canada
For flights from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, or from Paris – Charles de Gaulle to destinations in the United States or in Canada, all battery-operated electronic devices in hand baggage will undergo an extra check. At the gate, these devices will need to be taken out of their sleeves or covers, be switched on and be shown to be operative.