On this page:
Important: reserve for special baggage
Because of limited space on our aircraft, you need to reserve for the transportation of some types of special baggage as early as possible – no later than 48 hours before departure. You can simply do this on KLM.com: log in to My Trip, go to the ‘Passenger details’ tab and scroll down to ‘Baggage’. Or, contact KLM Telephone Reservations.
Make sure that the reservation is confirmed before departure to ensure that you can take your special baggage with you.
Check the rules and fees for sports equipment and other items per KLM flight:
You can bring your wedding dress into the cabin instead of a piece of hand baggage if it is packed in a clothing bag. Please make sure the bag meets the weight and size restrictions. Check the rules and fees for hand baggage
You can also choose to bring a wedding dress instead of a suitcase, or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance. You do not need to reserve for transportation of your wedding dress.
On KLM flights within Europe with Boeing 737, Fokker 70 and Embraer aircraft, we have limited storage space in the cabin, so you can only bring a wedding dress in the hold.
You can bring your musical instrument in one of 3 ways:
1. Instead of a suitcase or instead of an extra suitcase
Your musical instrument may weigh max 23 kg / 50.5 lbs and must be packed in a hard case. Please make sure that your instrument is properly packed, as we are not liable for any damage. You do not need to reserve for transportation of a musical instrument, unless it is larger than 158 cm / 62 in (l + h + w).
If your instrument weighs more than 32 kg (70.5 lbs) or measures more than 200 cm / 79 in (l + h + w) you need to reserve for its transportation via KLM Telephone Reservations, and receive confirmation at least 48 hours before departure.
2. As hand baggage
A smaller musical instrument, such as a violin or smaller instrument, you can bring instead of a piece of hand baggage. It needs to fit in the overhead baggage compartment.
3. On an extra seat
Larger instruments which do not fit in the overhead baggage compartment or under the seat can be taken into the cabin to be transported on a seat. This seat needs to be booked in advance via KLM Telephone Reservations
Bicycles and tandems
You can take your (foldable) bicycle or tandem (non-electric) with you in suitable packaging or a bike box:
- The handlebars should be turned lengthways along the frame, pedals and other protruding parts should be removed, and tire pressures should be reduced.
- Special KLM bike boxes are available at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol for EUR 20 each (176.5 x 23.0 x 101.5 cm – 66.5 x 9 x 39 in). The KLM bike box weighs 4.5 kg / 10 lbs.
If your flight is with a Fokker 70 aircraft, please do not pack your (foldable) bicycle or tandem in a box, but wrap it in soft material such as plastic.
You always need to reserve for the transportation of a (foldable) bicycle or tandem in advance.
A set of golf equipment may consist of a golf bag containing only clubs, balls and a pair of golf shoes.
You can bring a set of golf equipment instead of a suitcase, or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance. You do not need to reserve for transportation of a golf bag.
Flying Blue Golf Club
If you are a member of the Flying Blue Golf Club and all flights in your trip are operated by KLM or AIR FRANCE (including HOP!), Air Europa, or Air Corsica, you may take 1 golf bag (max. 23 kg / 50.5 lbs) with you free of charge on top of your standard baggage allowance. You will need to bring a Flying Blue Golf voucher
Skis and snowboards
A set of (water-) ski or snowboard equipment may consist of one of the following:
- A board and a pair of snowboard boots
- A pair of (water) skis, 2 ski poles and a pair of ski boots
You can bring one of the above sets instead of a suitcase or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance.
An avalanche rescue backpack can be taken instead of a piece of hand- or (extra arranged) check-in baggage, or packed inside your hand – or check-in baggage. You always need to reserve for its transportation via telephone. On flights to, from and via the United States, avalanche rescue backpacks with an explosive trigger mechanism are not allowed in hand – or check-in baggage.
- Windsurf equipment may consist of a board, mast, sail and boom and must be packed in 1 package, preferably in a ‘quiver bag’.
- Kite surf equipment may consist of a board and a kite bag and must be packed in 1 package, preferably in a kite bag.
You can bring a surf board of max. 107 cm / 42 in instead of a suitcase or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance. A surfboard between 107 and 300 cm (42 and 78 inch) can only be taken at a special fee, and only after reserving for its transportation. Your surf equipment may weigh max. 23 kg (50.5 lbs) in Economy Class, and max. 32 kg (70.5 lbs) in Business Class.
A set of dive equipment may consist of a wetsuit, vest, socks, mask, shoes, flippers, knife and regulator. Dive lamps must be transported as hand baggage, with the bulb and batteries removed.
You can bring a set of dive equipment instead of a suitcase, or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance. You need to reserve for transportation of a set of dive equipment.
Please note: Air cylinders (scuba tanks) must be empty and the valve should be open or removed. You always need to reserve for transportation of air cylinders, which can only be taken at a special fee.
A set of fishing equipment may consist of or 2 rods, 1 reel, 1 landing net, 1 pair of fishing boots and 1 fishing tackle box. These must be packed together.
You can bring a set of fishing equipment instead of a suitcase, or instead of an extra suitcase if bought in advance. You do not need to reserve for transportation of fishing equipment.
Weapons for shooting and hunting sports
You may only bring firearms and ammunition for shooting and hunting purposes as check-in baggage and under certain strict conditions. You can bring a firearm and ammunition instead of a suitcase, or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance, but you always need to reserve for the transportation of a firearm and ammunition.
Aside a weapon or a weapon case you may also bring max. 5 kg sports/hunting ammunition, a shooting mat, small tools and hearing protector.
- You need to have all the required permits in your possession.
- Ammunition may only be intended for shooting sport
- Firearms must be unloaded and safely packed in a suitcase or other case. The cartridges must be packed safely, preferably in a suitcase.
- Rifles must be transported separately from the ammunition. Firearms and ammunition should be packed separately from other personal belongings.
- Baggage containing ammunition may not carry labels with the text ‘explosives’.
- Transporting ammunition with explosive or flammable projectiles is not permitted.
- When you check in your baggage you will need to declare that your weapon is unloaded and the ammunition has been packed separately.
Other special baggage
You can bring other types of sports equipment and other items instead of a suitcase or instead of an extra suitcase bought in advance, if:
- Max. 158 cm / 62 in (l + w + h)
- Max. 23 kg / 50.5 lbs in Economy Class
- Max. 32 kg / 70.5 lbs in Business Class
For larger and/or heavier items you will need to pay a fee and you always need to reserve for transportation via KLM Telephone Reservations - as early as possible, but no later than 48 hours before departure.
Check the rules and fees for all kinds of special baggage per KLM flight: