Unaccompanied Minor service
Unaccompanied Minor service
With the Unaccompanied Minor service, you can rest assured that your child will travel alone safely. Reserving the service is mandatory for children aged 5 up to and including 14 who are travelling alone or who are travelling in a different travel class than their accompanying adult. For children aged 15 up to and including 17 the service is optional.
Before departure and after arrival, our KLM staff, or staff hired by KLM, will accompany your child to and from the aircraft, even in the event of delay. And during the flight our cabin attendants will keep a close look at your child.
During a long transfer at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, your child will stay in our Junior Jet Lounge. Here he/she can have soft drinks, and can enjoy computer games, films, books in various languages and a variety of toys.
We will keep you informed by telephone, e-mail and text message about any changes in your child’s flight schedule. At the end of the journey, we will personally accompany your child to the person you have authorised to collect him/her.
If your child’s journey means travelling with one of our partner airlines, be aware that our partners may have other rules for unaccompanied children. Please check with your travel agent or directly with the airline itself.
Make sure that your child has all travel documents needed for its entire journey.
- All children travelling alone to or from Curacao (including children aged 15 up to and including 17 years old for whom no Unaccompanied Minor Service has been reserved) need to bring a written confirmation that they are allowed to travel, signed by parent(s) or legal guardian, and an identification document of a parent or guardian.
- If travelling to or from Thailand, children 16 years and younger travelling alone or with 1 parent only, need to bring a copy of his or her birth certificate, and a letter of consent to travel from the non-travelling parent(s).
- If travelling alone from Mexico a child under 18 years needs to bring proof of parentage such as a birth certificate or legal order of custody. It also needs to bring a notarized statement of both parents or of its legal guardians, in Spanish. The statement is available on the website of the Mexican Immigration (INM) and will be valid for 180 days after validation.
- For travel to and from South Africa as of 1 june 2015, all children need to bring various documents – regardless if they travel with both parents, with 1 parent, with an accompanying adult or alone. Read more about the new rules for travel to/from South Africa
- For travel to and from Brazil, all children need to bring various documents – regardless if they travel with both parents, with 1 parent, with an accompanying adult or alone. Learn more about the necessary documents
How it works
You need to book a flight for a child travelling alone and the Unaccompanied Minor service at least 24 hours before departure. This service cannot be booked independently of the flight and you can only book these via KLM Telephone Reservations or your travel agent. When booking the service, we will ask for details about your child and your contact information. We recommend filling out a Handling Advice form(PDF, 435KB) (in English only) before calling us.
The Unaccompanied Minor service has to be booked at least 24 hours before departure. During online check-in, you will receive a check-in confirmation which you can print and exchange for a boarding pass at the check-in desk at the airport.
A parent or guardian aged 18 years or older needs to bring the child to the check-in desk between 2½ and 1½ hours before departure. At Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, this is desk 8 in Departure Hall 1 (European flights) or desk 16 in Departure Hall 2 (intercontinental flights). You need to bring a valid form of identification and stay at the airport until the child’s flight has departed.
To accompany your child during its journey, you need to authorize us by handing in a completely filled out and signed copy of the Handling Advice form(PDF, 435KB) at the desk. We recommend downloading and filling it out at home, and bringing 3 copies to the airport. You can also get this form at the KLM Service Desk (at Schiphol at the Axxicom assistance desk).
Upon arrival we will hand over your child to the person who was authorised in the Handling Advice form to collect him/her at his/her final destination. We will not hand over your child to anyone representing a company or organisation, so please enter an individual person’s name.
Download the Handling Advice form(PDF, 394KB) (in English only)
Regardless of the age of the child, the cost for the Unaccompanied Minor service is the price of an adult’s ticket, plus a service surcharge of EUR 50 for flights within Europe or EUR 75 for intercontinental flights. The surcharge is doubled for return tickets.
The supplement is automatically added to the total price of the ticket during the booking of the flight. Please note that below prices will be converted to local currency and that in some countries a local tax may be added.
|Service surcharge Unaccompanied Minor Service|
|* This applies only to 15 to 17 year olds. For unaccompanied children aged between 5 and 14 years the ‘non-stop’ surcharge applies.|