Delayed, lost or damaged baggage
On this page:
Reporting delayed baggage
If you discover upon arrival that your baggage is missing, please immediately go to the Baggage Service Office in the baggage reclaim areas of the airport. At Amsterdam Airport Schiphol this office is located in the baggage reclaim area opposite baggage belt 9.
At the Baggage Service Office your baggage claim will be registered and then you will receive a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) with a personal reference number. You need this number to check the status of your delayed baggage. Once your baggage has been found, we will contact you to arrange delivery.
You should have received a baggage claim tag for every bag that you checked in before departure. Make sure to save these tags until you have received all of your baggage.
Reporting delayed baggage online
You can also report your delayed baggage online (within 2 days), for flights operated by KLM or AIR FRANCE, in these cases:
Tracing delayed baggage
With the last name and the file reference number indicated on your Property Irregularity Report (PIR), you can check the status of your delayed baggage online via the World Tracer tool.
Baggage not found within 3 days
If your baggage is not found within 3 days, you can use the World Tracer tool to fill out a Baggage Inventory and Claim Form online. This form will automatically be shown to you online, when your baggage is not found within 3 days. Please enter your last name and file reference number. By providing more details we can then refine our search. This information will help us in returning your baggage as soon as possible.
In the unfortunate event that we were not able to trace baggage after 21 days, this form will be sent to KLM Customer Care.
How to contact us about delayed baggage
After reporting the missing of your baggage, you will receive a contact number. You can also reach us 24/7 via Facebook or Twitter. Please share your personal details only in private messages:
Normal use of your baggage may result in scratches, marks and small dents on your baggage and in other wear and tear. We do not accept liability for this.
If you discover other kinds of damage to your baggage, please report this to us as soon as you arrive. Or you can send a written claim to Customer Care within 7 days after arrival.
Send an e-mail to Customer Care
If something is missing from your baggage
If any contents from your baggage are missing, you should report this immediately after arrival at the Baggage Service Office at the airport. Or you can report missing items by filling out our Customer Care e-mail form within 7 days after arrival.
Send an e-mail to KLM Customer Care
Left something on board?
Did you leave a personal item on board the aircraft? Here’s what you can do:
- If you lost something on a KLM aircraft that arrived at Amsterdam airport, simply let us know via KLM on Facebook or via KLM on Twitter . The KLM Lost & Found team will get to work immediately to retrieve your property – just make sure to contact us within 3 days. After 3 days, all items found are brought to the Customer Contact centre of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol: view the contact details – also if you lost something in one of the worldwide KLM Crown Lounges.
- If you lost something on board a KLM aircraft that arrived at another airport, please contact the local staff at that airport.
- If you lost something on board an Air France aircraft, please contact the Air France Lost and Found Property Office. Please note that all items found will be stored for up to 3 months:
• E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Fax: +33 1 41 56 20 68
- If you lost an item on board an aircraft operated by another airline, we recommend that you contact the customer support department of the airline concerned.
Although KLM will take the best care of found objects, we are not liable for the loss of personal items on board our aircraft.
Premium Arrival Room Schiphol
As a World Business Class passenger or a Flying Blue Gold or Platinum member, you can use our Premium Arrival Room at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to report any delayed or damaged baggage.
You will find the Premium Arrival Room in the baggage reclaim area opposite baggage belt 9, next to the general desk for reporting missing or damaged baggage.
If your bag was lost, damaged or something was missing from it, please contact KLM Customer Care to request reimbursement of expenses and/or compensation.
Unfortunately we have limited liability, so if your bag was lost we recommend contacting your insurance company. Most insurance policies cover loss on the basis of the value of the property while, in the aviation industry, only a limited compensation per person is customary.