Perched high on a hill overlooking Aruba stands the Alto Vista Chapel, a tiny sanctuary that is often illuminated by dozens of candles that create its special ambiance. Everyone is welcome, both believers and non-believers, to enjoy the serene atmosphere or attend one of the weekly services. The current building dates from 1952, but the location has a much longer history, as this is where the first church on Aruba once stood.
The small yellow chapel is located on the north-eastern tip of the island close to the town of Noord and the Arikok Park. There is little in the surrounding landscape to interfere with the views of the island and sea – only cacti and low-growing shrubs protrude from the sand. Alto Vista, also often called ‘pilgrim’s church’, is located at the end of a long, winding road. White crosses mark the route. The road is unpaved, so expect lots of kicked-up dust.