Check in online
How does online check-in work?
Enter your ticket number or booking code and the flight number or log in with your e-mail address and password or your Flying Blue number and PIN code.
Step 1 – Your information
Select your flights and enter the names of any other passengers in your party that you want to check in.
Step 2 – Extra options
- Choose your seat, or arrange an extra comfortable seat. And, if you are travelling alone, you can use Meet & Seat to see who else will be on your KLM flight.
- Order an à la carte meal for intercontinental KLM flights departing from Amsterdam
- Plus, you profit from a discount of 20% or more if you want to check in .
Step 3 – Print documents
Print out your boarding pass and those of any passengers travelling with you. You can also e-mail the boarding pass to someone who can print the boarding pass for you, or print it out at a self-service check-in machine at the airport.
Or get an electronic boarding pass
On many routes, you can request an electronic boarding pass. You will receive it on your smartphone, PDA, Blackberry or mobile phone with Internet access. The text message or e-mail you receive will include all the flight information and a barcode that you can have scanned at the airport. Read more about the electronic boarding pass.
In some cases, a boarding pass may not be available. You must then print out your check-in confirmation and exchange it at the airport for a boarding pass.
Dropping off check-in baggage at the airport
Once checked in, all you have to do before departure is drop off your check-in baggage at a baggage drop-off point at the airport. At most airports, you can drop off your baggage starting at 2 hours before your flight departs.
Look at the .
Cancelling a check-in
Once you have checked in, you can cancel your check-in for such reasons as wanting to book a later flight. Go to ‘Check in online’ at KLM.com, click ‘Cancel your check-in’. Next, enter your ticket number or booking code. To book a later flight, you can call KLM Telephone Reservations.
Can I check in online?
For most flights, you can check in at KLM.com from 30 hours to 1 hour before departure.
Exceptions check-in times:
- To and from the United States: from 24 hours to 1 hour before departure
- To Mumbai: from 8 hours up to 1 and a half hours before departure
- From Ethiopia, Kenya or Sudan: from 30 hours up to 1 and a half hours prior to departure.
- Alitalia flights: from 24 hours before departure
- China Southern Airlines flights: from 23,5 hours before departure
If your return flight will be made within 24 hours of the departure of your outward flight, you can check in immediately for your return flight.
Checking in online at KLM.com is possible if your trip begins with any flight operated by KLM, AIR FRANCE, Alitalia, CityJet, Delta Air Lines and Kenya Airways, Ukraine International Airlines, Aer Lingus, China Southern Airlines, China Airlines, Etihad Airways, LOT and Tarom when departing from Amsterdam. (Your booking confirmation shows which airline is operating your flight.)
Online check-in is not possible for:
- Airports which do not permit check-in online. In such a case, you can check in at a self-service check-in kiosk or at the airport’s check-in desk.
View the check-in services per airport
- Passengers who have requested assistance and who are travelling without a person at least 15 years of age who is listed on the same reservation;
- Passengers who are departing from airports which do not provide the option of online check-in;
- Passengers travelling by train from Brussels South Railway station or Antwerp Central Station to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.
In these cases, you should check in at the airport.
To and from the United States
For flights to or from the United States, online check-in is possible between 24 hours to 1 hour before departure.
To the United States
As a result of immigration, security and airport limitations, some airports do not allow the printing of your own boarding pass prior to departure. In this case, you can check in at a self-service check-in machine or at the check-in counter at the airport.
If your passport was issued by a country under the Visa Waiver Programme, you need to apply for ESTA travel authorization preferably 72 hours before departure.
You always need to have ESTA travel authorisation to be able to check in online at KLM.com, unless you have a United States resident permit.
Read more about travel to the United States>
From the United States
If you travel from the United States, and you want to check in online via KLM.com, you will be forwarded to the Delta Air Lines website. This means it is not possible to arrange extra baggage via KLM.com.
However, if you depart from Chicago, Houston, Miami, San Francisco or Washington DC, you can check in via KLM.com – and arrange extra baggage if you want.