Request special assistance
Contact KLM CARES if you want to:
- Arrange assistance at the airport during boarding, disembarking and/or transferring
- Bring your own (electric) wheelchair and/or use a cabin wheelchair
- Bring special medical equipment (max. 2 items per passenger)
- Bring your service animal into the cabin
- You need to request special assistance (and book your flight) at least 48 hours before departure.
- If your flight will be operated by one of our partners, please request special assistance from this airline.You will need to check in at the airport (if departing from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, you can check in at desk 16) – at least half an hour before the recommended check-in time. If you are using an electrically powered wheelchair, please check in 1 hour earlier.
- Please go to the gate at the time indicated on your boarding pass.
Please know that the KLM crew cannot provide assistance during all stages of your trip. Make sure you have someone to travel with you should you require assistance throughout your entire journey.
You can also send us an e-mail at KLMCARES@klm.nl, call us at 800 556 22 737 (charges may apply) or in the Netherlands (toll free) at 0800 556 22 737 (between 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM).
Medical Information Forms
If one of the descriptions below applies to you, please consult your physician prior to travel. In some cases, you or your travel agent must complete Medical Information Form A(PDF, 295KB) and your doctor must complete and sign Medical Information Form B(PDF, 952KB). These should be in the possession of KLM no later than 48 hours before departure.
- Passengers suffering from a contagious disease.
- Passengers who, due to illness or a physical condition, display behavior that could potentially influence the comfort and well-being of the other passengers and/or the crew, or that could present a risk to the safety or punctuality of the flight.
- Passengers who will need medical care or will be dependent on specific medical equipment during the flight.
- Passengers who have a medical condition that could result in a life-threatening situation or could require the provision of exceptional medical care for their safety during the flight.
- Passengers who need personal care during the flight (during meals, visiting the toilet, etc.) and will be travelling without a companion.
- Passengers who cannot use the airplane seats in a normal, upright position.
POC - Portable Oxygen Concentrator
You are allowed to take the following POCs with you on board:
- AirSep FreeStyle (Fed. Reg. Sep 12/06)
- AirSep LifeStyle displaying an RTCA sticker (SFAR No. 106, Aug 11/2005)
- Delphi RS-00400
- DeVilbiss Healthcare iGo
- Inogen One (SFAR No. 106, Aug 11/2005)
- Inogen One G2
- Invacare SOLO2
- International Biophysics LifeChoice
- Invacare XPO100
- Oxlife Independence Oxygen Concentrator
- Respironics EverGo (Fed. Reg. Sep 12/06)
- SeQual Technologies Eclipse (Fed. Reg. Sep 12/06)
To use your own POC on board, please make sure you reserve your POC at least 48 hours prior to departure by calling KLM Telephone Reservations and, in consultation with your physician, provide the following information:
- Brand and type of POC.
- Medical need for using in-flight oxygen and user’s capacity to see, hear and respond to the POC unit alarms.
- Maximum oxygen flow rate corresponding to the pressure in the cabin under normal operating conditions. Please note: compared to use of a POC on the ground, use in a pressurised cabin during the flight requires around twice the amount of oxygen.
- The duration of oxygen use in hours and minutes. The doctor and/or passenger are responsible for bringing enough oxygen for the duration of the flight.
Batteries for a POC
You need to bring batteries for the duration of the flight, overlay and unforeseen delays. Batteries containing Lithium can be divided in two types based on the content of Lithium:
- Batteries containing up to 8g Lithium: these can be carried in unlimited amounts.
- Batteries containing more than 8g but not more than 25g: 2 pieces are allowed if they are individually protected to prevent short circuiting.
If you bring your own POC, please check in at the airport desk.