Passport and visa

Find out which travel documents you need, plus other important information about visiting your country of destination.

Beijing 72-hour Visa-free Transit Program

Launched since January 1, 2013

Beijing offers 72-hour visa-free transit to: 

  • Nationals of Albania, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech (Rep)., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungry, Iceland, Ireland (Rep), Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep.) Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States of America, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom 
  • Holding confirmed onward airline tickets to a third country 
  • Provided arriving in and departing from the same city (Transit time of 72 hours starting from 00:01 on the day following the day of entry) 

For more information, please visit our website: 

Which travel documents do I need?

Every country has its own rules for visitors of various nationalities. Here you can check whether you need a visa and whether there are any other important rules, such as passport validity.

Please note:

  • Children of European Union citizens travelling from, to or through countries in the European Union need to carry their own passport or ID card. Having their names entered in their parent’s passport is no longer permitted. This rule does not apply to document holders of the United Kingdom or Ireland.
  • Travellers to the United States may also need to request ESTA travel authorisation.

See which travel documents are necessary

Check your trip

Apply for your visa online

If you are departing from Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States, and you need a visa, you can apply conveniently online via My Trip. Our partner CIBT will gladly arrange your application from A to Z. If only a visa is required, My Trip will offer you this option.

Log in to My Trip

Apply for your visa to Kenya online

For travellers to Kenya who need a visa, the visa application can only be done online. As from 1 September 2015, it is no longer possible to arrange for this at the airport. Apply for your visa to Kenya online via the eCitizen portal .

Changing entry rules for Canada

As from 15 March 2016, it will be mandatory for travellers to or via Canada to show an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before boarding their flight. You can apply for an eTA online via the website of the Canadian authorities. This rule does not apply to document holders of the United States or travellers with a valid visa for Canada.

API - Advance Passenger Information

The authorities in many countries require us to collect various types of personal information on our passengers. We will ask you to provide these if necessary for your trip. You can enter your API details online in My Trip or when you check in or at the airport. You can also provide your API details via your travel agent.

API data includes information on the machine-readable zone on your passport:

  • Family name and first name
  • Date of birth, gender and nationality
  • Passport number, issuing country and expiry date
  • Country of residence and temporary address where you will be staying (for travel to the United States only) including the house number, street, city/town, abbreviation used for the state and the zip code.

When travelling to the United States, there are some exceptions in which you do not have to provide Advance Passenger Information.

If you do not want to enter these details online, you can also fill out and hand in the API form.

Enter API details in My Trip

Download the API form
Read more about travel to the United States