ESTA authorisation for travel to the United States

Passengers from countries under the Visa Waiver Programme need to apply for ESTA authorisation to enter the United States. You can apply for ESTA online.

What is ESTA?

If you travel to the United States and you are a citizen of a country under the Visa Waiver Programme, you will have to apply for ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) travel authorisation. 

Check if you need ESTA authorisation via our partner CIBT

Check if you need ESTA authorisation via the US Customs and Border protection

  • You need to apply no later than 72 hours before departure. After this, there may not be enough time to process your application.
  • You will need to pay a fee only if you have a new passport, or if your previous ESTA authorisation has expired.
  • In order to be able to use online check-in at, your travel documents (ESTA, visa or otherwise) must be complete.
  • Depending on your nationality and purpose of travel, you may not need ESTA approval. Please check if ESTA authorisation applies for you.

Apply for ESTA

If you need ESTA you can choose to let our partner CIBT take care of everything for you. For a fee, CIBT offers:
  • A complete check of what you need for your trip.
  • Arranging ESTA or other necessary travel documents – even renewal your passport - before you depart. No filling out forms or time-consuming correspondence.
  • All applications ready for submission within 72 hours after your request – guaranteed.
  • Live assistance for any question you may have.

Apply for ESTA via our partner CIBT

Or you can apply directly for ESTA via the US Customs and Border Protection.

Important: When applying for ESTA, please make sure you enter the information exactly as stated in your passport.


After you applied

Receiving confirmation of your ESTA travel authorization may take up to 72 hours. After approval, you will receive a reference number. Be sure to print the ESTA application response: you will need the application number to change your ESTA information when your passport expires.

ESTA authorisation remains valid for 2 years. During these 2 years, you may travel to the United States as often as you like, until any answers to the YES/NO questions in your ESTA application change, or until your passport expires.

If you do not receive ESTA authorisation immediately, please use your ESTA application number to check whether permission for departure will still be issued. You should make sure to do this well in advance because you may need to apply for a visa at the United States Embassy or Consulate.

We recommend you bring a print-out of the ESTA application response to the departure airport.