Special assistance by KLM CARES
On this page:
Request special assistance
Contact KLM CARES at least 48 hours before departure if you want to:
- Arrange assistance at the airport during boarding, disembarking and/or transferring
- Bring your own (electric) wheelchair (scooter), walker or crutches or use a cabin wheelchair
- Bring special medical equipment: always contact KLM CARES when travelling with medical equipment in your hand baggage or check-in baggage, even if you are not using the equipment onboard
- Bring your assistance dog into the cabin
- Use an extended leg rest for a leg that needs to stay in a horizontal position (in a cast). On KLM flights within Europe, 2 extra seats need to be booked in Economy Class. On intercontinental KLM flights, you need to travel in Business Class.
- KLM CARES can not guarantee any service if this is less than 48 hours before departure.
How to request special assistance
- Request special assistance now and log in to My Trip
View your local KLM CARES telephone number
- You can also send us an e-mail at KLMCARES@klm.nl (in English or Dutch), call us at +800 55622737 (charges may apply) or in the Netherlands (toll free) at 0800 55622737 (between 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM).
Important before departure
- It is not possible to arrange assistance for passengers with a language barrier, fear of flight or first time travellers.
- You need to request special assistance (and book your flight) at least 48 hours before departure. If your flight will be operated by one of our partners, please request special assistance from this airline. KLM will transport your own wheelchair (scooter) or walker - free of charge.
- You must check in at the airport at least half an hour before the standard check-in time. If departing from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, please check in at desk 16. If you are using an electrically powered wheelchair, please check in 1 hour earlier.
- Please go to the gate at the time indicated on your boarding pass.
- Please know that the KLM crew cannot provide assistance during all stages of your trip. Make sure you have someone to travel with you should you require assistance throughout your entire journey.
Bring your own wheelchair
If you are bringing your own wheelchair, please make sure you contact us at least 48 hours before your departure. We will look into the possibilities and make a reservation for you right away. The number of (electric) wheelchairs we can transport is limited.
Your wheelchair needs to be transported as check-in baggage in upright position to avoid damage and spilling of batteries.
Maximum size and weight of wheelchairs per aircraft type:
|Aircraft type||Max. dimensions
(l x w x h)
|Boeing 777, 747, 787 and Airbus 330|
152 x 139 x 149 cm /
59.5 x 54.5 x 58.5 inch
|No max. weight|
112 x 113 x 85 cm /
44 x 44.5 x 33 inch
|No max. weight|
120 x 100 x 70 cm /
47 x 39 x 27.5 inch
|150 kg / 331 lbs|
- Foldable onboard wheelchair: available on board of all KLM and KLM Cityhopper aircraft.
- Toilet facilities: wheelchair accessible toilets are available on all KLM’s Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and Airbus A330 aircraft. Our Boeing 737, Boeing 747, Embraer 190 and Fokker 70 aircraft have a foldaway curtain to enlarge the lavatory space. Our staff will help find your way to and from the toilet. Unfortunately, we cannot assist you in the toilet area.
- Toilet handles: the toilets onboard of all our KLM aircraft are equipped with toilet handles.
- Moveable armrests: in all our aircraft we have a number of aisle and middle seats that have moveable armrests, so you can transfer more easily into your seat. The number and locations of movable aisle armrest seats may vary by aircraft type.
- Special seating solutions such as an Orthotic Positioning Device will always be reviewed by our Flight Standards & Compliance department to see if the seating solution is compliant with applicable regulations as defined by FAA. If it does not comply, unfortunately it cannot be accepted on board. Please make your request at least 2 working days prior to departure by calling KLM CARES.
Medical Information Forms
If one of the descriptions below applies to you, please consult your physician prior to travel. In some cases, you or your travel agent must complete Medical Information Form A and your doctor must complete and sign Medical Information Form B . These should be in the possession of KLM no later than 48 hours before departure.
- Passengers suffering from a contagious disease.
- Passengers who, due to illness or a physical condition, display behavior that could potentially influence the comfort and well-being of the other passengers and/or the crew, or that could present a risk to the safety or punctuality of the flight.
- Passengers who will need medical care or will be dependent on specific medical equipment during the flight.
- Passengers who have a medical condition that could result in a life-threatening situation or could require the provision of exceptional medical care for their safety during the flight.
- Passengers who need personal care during the flight (during meals, visiting the toilet, etc.) and will be travelling without a companion.
- Passengers who cannot use the airplane seats in a normal, upright position.
POC - Portable Oxygen Concentrator
Only POC’s that are battery operated or POC’s that are both battery operated and operating on net power are allowed for use on board. To use your own POC on board, please make sure you reserve for the transportation of your POC at least 2 working days prior to departure by calling KLM CARES.
Batteries for a POC
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a power supply on every passenger seat on board, so you need to bring enough fully charged batteries with you. Based on the manufacturer’s estimate of the hours of battery life while the device is in use, and on the information provided by your physician, your batteries need to last for at least 150% of the expected maximum duration of your flight. The batteries will need to be stowed under your seat. Spare batteries are only allowed in your hand baggage, never in your check-in baggage.
- Lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries may contain up to 2 grams of lithium
- Lithium ion batteries may have a watt-hour rating of up to 100 watt/hour
You can find the watt/hour rating on the battery or in the user manual. Spare batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuit, e.g. by taping terminals or by placing them in separate plastic bag or pouch.
Travelling with your assistance dog
If you are bringing your assistance dog onboard with you, you need to meet certain requirements:
- To bring your Guide Dog into the cabin, please download and fill out the Application Form Guide Dog and send the completed form to KLMCARES@klm.nl . Please also bring it with you when checking in at the airport. It is recommended to contact KLM CARES before your departure for confirmation of the transport of your guide dog.
- To bring an Emotional Support dog into the cabin, please always contact KLM CARES at least 48 hours before departure. Download and fill out the Application Form Emotional Support Dog and arrange a signed declaration from your health care provider. Please send the completed form together with the signed declaration to KLMCARES@klm.nl and bring these with you when checking in at the airport.
Read more about bringing your assistance dog.
Contact KLM CARES