- We are the Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines or KLM), a Dutch airline with offices at Amsterdamseweg 55, 1182 GP in Amstelveen, The Netherlands.
KLM is part of the AIR FRANCE KLM Group. For more information, please see our website under ‘About KLM’.
We offer our loyalty programs Flying Blue and Blue Biz together with our group company Air France. For the processing of your personal data in relation to these programs KLM and Air France are jointly responsible. If you have any questions, remarks or complaints in relation to the processing of your data in relation to these programs, you can either contact us at KLMPrivacyOffice@klm.com or you can contact Air France.
- 2.1. General. We may collect and process the following categories of personal information:
a. Name, passport number and other identifying information
For example, we may record your name, title, gender and date of birth, your nationality country of residence and passport number.
b. Your contact details and personal account or registration details
Your contact details may include your address, telephone number and email address. When you create a personal account or register for a service, we may also record your sign in details and other information you fill out on your personal account or registration form. For business travellers, we also collect information relating to your company such as company name and business location.
c. Information about your reservations, bookings and purchases
When you make a reservation or book a flight with us, we process your reservation and booking information. This information may include details about your flight, prices and the date of your reservation or booking. In addition hereto we process information in relation to ancillary services (such as upgrades and extra luggage) and products you purchase (for example via the KLM webshop).
d. Information about your travel arrangements
When you travel with us, we process information in relation to your journey. Such as your travel itinerary, (online) check-in, your (mobile) boarding pass and your travel companions. We may also record any specified medical needs or dietary requests you have and any additional assistance you require.
e. Your membership of our loyalty programs, like Flying Blue and BlueBiz
When you become a member of our loyalty programs, we process your membership number, miles or credits balance, awards and benefits, type and level of membership and other information in relation to your membership.
f. Our communication with you
When you send us an email or chat with us online or via social media, we register your communication with us. When you call us, our customer support will register your questions or complaints in our database. We may also record telephone calls for training purposes or to prevent or combat fraud.
g. Information we collect when you use our websites, apps and other digital media
- When you visit our websites or use one of our apps, we may register your IP address, browser type, operating system, referring website, web-browsing behavior and app use.
- We may receive an automatic notification when you open a newsletter or click on a link in such newsletter.
- With your permission we may also receive your location data.
- You can also agree to provide us with access to certain data stored on your mobile phone (such as photos and contacts). For more information, please see below (cookies).
h. Information in relation to social media
i. Information you choose to share with us
You may choose to share information with us, for example when you leave a comment for us on Facebook, fill out a customer survey or submit an entry for a contest.
2.2. Sensitive data. Certain categories of personal information we collect and use, such as data about race, religion or health, can be considered “sensitive personal data” under Dutch data protection law.
- KLM may obtain your personal data in a number of ways, for example when you book a flight, you register for one of our loyalty programs, use one of our apps, communicate with us via social media or when you subscribe to our newsletter.
We may also receive personal information from our group companies, partners or from service providers.
For example, when you use a third party platform to search and book a flight, we may receive your contact details from that provider. When you purchase a service from our loyalty partners, they share your earned miles with us. Depending on your social network settings, we may also receive information from your social network provider (please see above).
Some information we receive from public authorities.
- The main purposes for which we use your personal information are:
a. To provide our services to you
To handle your reservations and bookings and to fulfill your travel arrangements and purchases, we need to process most of the information described above. For example, we need your name, passport number and other identifying information to issue your ticket. To inform you about changes in departure times, we need your contact details. And, to ensure that you receive the required care, we require your specified medical needs.
b. To facilitate our loyalty programs
To let you or your company benefit from the discounts and rewards under our loyalty programs, we use your membership information and your booking information.
c. To provide our online services and mobile apps to you
- For example, we use your name and flight details when you check-in for your flight with our app.
- Some of our online services and apps use your location, for example to show you the nearest location of your interest.
- To ease your use of our online services or apps, we may analyze the data we collect when you use our digital media and combine it with information collected via cookies and similar technologies (please see above). For example, to understand which digital channel (email, social media) or device (desktop, table or mobile) you prefer, so we can restrict our communication to that channel or device.
d. To communicate with you
We use your contact details to communicate with you, answer your questions or handle your complaints.
e. For statistical research
- General. We use automatic tools to perform statistical research into general trends regarding the use of our services, loyalty programs, websites, apps and social media and the behavior and preferences of our customers and users.
- Data. To perform our research, we may merge and analyze the different types of data as described above. We will only use aggregated data and do not use name, email address or other directly identifying information. We may also combine such aggregated data with information we receive from our group companies or from public sources (such as Statistics Netherlands). Without your consent we will not use sensitive data for this statistical research.
- Benefits. Statistical research helps us to develop better services and offerings, to improve our loyalty programs, to provide more responsive customer support and to improve the design and content of our websites and mobile apps.
f. For direct marketing purposes
- General. We may use your personal information to send you newsletters, magazines, promotions or other marketing communications.
- Categories of data. To understand what is relevant to you, we may use automatic tools to analyze your personal information. For this purpose we may use and combine the information described above. We may also combine such aggregated data with information we receive from our group companies or from public sources (such as Statistics Netherlands). Without your consent we will not use sensitive data for this statistical research.
- Benefits. We use the results of our analysis to tailor our marketing communications to your specific interests and preferences. For example, if our analysis shows that you may be interested in certain types of travel or a specific destination, we may customize our newsletter and websites with offers and content that we believe will be relevant to you.
- Channels. We may use different channels for our marketing communications, such as e-mail, apps, social media and your personal online account.
- Custom audience targeting. We may participate in Facebook’s Custom Audience program, which enables us to display personalized ads to you when you visit Facebook. We may share your email address or another identifier to Facebook to enable Facebook to determine if you have a Facebook account. We may use similar programs from other social networks. You may opt-out of participation in our Facebook Custom Audience (or similar programs) by sending an email, from the email address you are opting out of, to KLMPrivacyOffice@klm.com . For more information on custom audience targeting, please see the website of your social media provider.
- Object or revoke. You may object or revoke your consent for receiving marketing communications at any time by following the instructions in the relevant marketing communication or by contacting us at KLMPrivacyOffice@klm.com .
g. To secure order and safety aboard flights
- Safety, public order or discipline. KLM keeps a record of the names of passengers who have interfered with the safety, public order or discipline, either on board of its aircraft or on the ground, and in relation to whom KLM has decided that they will not be allowed passage aboard KLM aircraft for a limited or unlimited period of time, or only under certain conditions. These persons are personally informed (in writing where possible) about the fact that their name has been placed in these records and how long these special security measures will apply to them. For more information on how to view this data or amend it, please see par. 8.
- Illegal drugs. The names of passengers who have disembarked at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and who have been found by the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee to be carrying illegal drugs will be recorded by the State of the Netherlands. KLM receives the names of these persons from the State of the Netherlands. KLM may refuse to enter into any transport contract with these persons for a period of three years for direct flights from Schiphol to Suriname, Aruba, Bonaire, St Martin or Curacao and for direct flights from these countries to Schiphol. You may request permission to examine this data or to make changes to its accuracy by submitting this request in writing to the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee at P.O. Box 90615, 2509 LP The Hague, The Netherlands. If you reside on Aruba, the Netherlands Antilles, in Suriname or in Venezuela, you should accompany this written request with a copy of your passport.
h. For facilitating immigration formalities, entering the territory of a State or fulfillment of statutory obligations
- 5.1. General. We may disclose or share your personal data with third parties for the following purposes:
a. To facilitate your bookings and travel arrangements
To handle your reservations and bookings and to fulfill your travel arrangements and purchases, we must share your personal data with our group companies, other airlines, airport operators and other companies involved in facilitating your travel arrangements. For more information on our group companies and the airlines we work with, please see our website under ‘About KLM’. When you purchase our services through a travel agent or other third party, we also share your personal information data with these parties.
b. For the support services we involve
We use third parties to provide our services, such as IT suppliers, social network providers, marketing agencies, credit and charge card companies and anti-fraud screening service providers. All such third parties will be required to adequately safeguard your personal data and only process it in accordance with our instructions.
c. For our loyalty programs and benefits
We offer our loyalty programs Flying Blue en Blue Biz in cooperation with our group company Air France (see also above, ‘Who we are’). We also share your data with our group companies and affiliated partners when you use miles or credits to purchase products or services of these group companies or partners. For more information, please see our website under “Flying Blue’ and ‘Blue Biz’.
d. Statistical research and direct marketing
KLM is part of the AIR FRANCE KLM Group (see also above, ‘Who we are’). Within our group of companies we may exchange information for statistical research and direct marketing purposes (please see above).
e. To let you benefit from the services of our partners
We may share your information with our partners to let you benefit from the services of these partners that we integrate or offer in our own services and apps. For example, when you rent a car at your travel destination from of one of our partners. Or you agree to receive tips from a third party travel platform about restaurants or hotspots at your travel destination. Although we select our partners with care, these partners have their own privacy policies that apply to the way they use your personal data.
f. For facilitating immigration formalities, entering the territory of a State or fulfillment of statutory obligations
- 6.1. KLM will take appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect your personal data against loss or unlawful use.
- 7.1. KLM may transfer your personal data to countries other than your country of residence. This occurs in the course of providing your travel arrangements or because our group companies, partners or service providers have operations in countries across the world. The laws of these countries may not afford the same level of protection to your personal data. Where necessary, KLM will ensure that adequate safeguards are in place to comply with the requirements for the international transfer of personal data under applicable privacy laws.
7.2. We may also be required to disclose your personal data to foreign government authorities other than your country of residence.
Laws in some other countries may require us to give border control agencies access to booking and travel information. Therefore, any information we hold about you and your travel arrangements may be disclosed to the customs and immigration authorities of any country in your itinerary. In addition, laws in several countries require KLM to collect your passport and associated information prior to travel to or from those countries. When required, we will provide this information to the relevant customs and immigration authorities. We may also disclose your personal data to government authorities if applicable law requires disclosure.
- You can request access to and have the opportunity to update and amend your personal data. And you can exercise any other rights you enjoy under applicable data protection laws, including, for example, objection to the processing of your personal data. All you have to do is send your written response, accompanied by a copy of your proof of identity, to:
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Privacy Office - AMSPI
PO Box 7700
1117 ZL Luchthaven Schiphol
- KLM has notified the processing of personal data to the Dutch Data Protection Authority (Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens, http://www.dutchdpa.nl ) located in The Hague, The Netherlands. These reports are available to the public and can be accessed online at https://www.collegebeschermingpersoonsgegevens.nl/asp/ORSearch.asp . (Search by entering ‘Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij’ under ‘naam’ or by entering ‘KLM’.).