Applying for compensation
Compensation for cancellation or rebookingYou can request compensation through KLM Customer Care in the following cases:
- Your KLM flight was overbooked and you were unable to board the flight as a result.
- You incurred unforeseen costs during your trip (in addition to the cost of your ticket and extra options), such as phone charges or lunch.
You will receive a voucher, which you can use for a purchase on KLM.com, or in some cases exchange for cash.
Compensation for a flight delay
If your KLM flight was delayed, we apologise for the inconvenience. You can contact KLM Customer Care (below) to request compensation in the following cases:
- Your flight was delayed for more than 3 hours.
- You were travelling to, from or through a European destination.
- Your flight was not delayed due to special circumstances such as extreme weather conditions, political instability or third party strikes.
We will review your request carefully. Unfortunately, submitting a request for compensation does not guarantee that you will be granted compensation.
To handle your request as quickly as possible, please include the following information in the ‘Your message’ section:
- The reference number of any previous complaints submitted.
- If you were rebooked onto another flight, the flight number and travel date.
- Whether or not this is the first time you are applying for compensation.
You will receive a voucher, which you can use for a future purchase, or in some cases exchange for cash.