On this page:
A trip with the kids is easy to arrange on KLM.com. When booking your flights, simply indicate if your baby or children will travel with you. The applicable reduced fares for kids and/or babies will automatically be calculated. If your child is travelling in a different travel class than you (or another accompanying adult), the Unaccompanied Minor service is mandatory for the child.
Did you know your child can become a Flying Blue member from just 2 years old – and earn Miles just like an adult? Sign up your child
Babies 0-1 years
If your child is not yet 2 years old on both the outbound and on the inbound journey, it will travel sitting on your lap. Every adult may travel with 2 babies, but only 1 baby may sit on his/her lap. The other baby will need to have a booked seat of its own. To book a seat for your 0 or 1 year old, please contact us.
Contact KLM to book a seat for your baby
Throughout your family trip with KLM, our mascotte Bluey will pop up. Look out for Bluey at the airport and on board.
Discover the entertainment on board for kids .
Prepare for travel
Find out all about passports, visa and more: Check
- Children of European Union citizens travelling from, to or through countries in the European Union need to carry their own passport or ID card. Having their names entered in their parent’s passport is no longer permitted. This rule does not apply to document holders of the United Kingdom or Ireland.
- For travel to and from South Africa as of 1 June 2015, all children need to bring various documents – regardless if they travel with both parents, with 1 parent, with an accompanying adult or alone. Read more about the new rules for travel to/from South Africa
For children travelling to other destinations with 1 parent or an accompanying adult, we recommend to check which documents you need to bring. Read more about travelling with children on the website of the Dutch Ministry of Defence or check the website of the embassy.
The UK government have abolished Air Passenger Duty (APD) for children aged 12 to 15 departing from a UK airport in Economy Class. Read more about the abolishment of Air Passenger Duty for children under 16.
When travelling to a (sub) tropical destination, be sure to check if your family have all the right vaccinations:
You can bring all necessary medication for your family on KLM flights – just make sure the user’s name is stated on it. If you want to take more than 100 ml/3.4 oz of liquid medication, do not forget to bring a declaration from your doctor.
Should you need special assistance on board or at the airport, you can make a special service request through My Trip or by contacting KLM CARES.
If you are expecting a baby you may travel by air. However once you are 36 weeks into your pregnancy, we advise you not to fly. We also discourage flying during the first week following delivery. If you are expecting more than 1 baby we always advise you to consult your physician first. If you have had complications, you need to have permission to fly from your physician.
Save time and skip the queue at the airport. Check in online:
- View your flight details and the latest news about your trip
- See your seats – we make sure your family will sit together
- Receive your boarding passes in your e-mail or print at home
- NEW: Print your baggage labels at home – for increasingly more airports
Holiday season: follow Bluey for family check-in
If you will depart from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol in the holiday season, look for the desk with the Bluey sign. We’ll help your family check in or drop off your baggage, and get your kids excited with a little surprise.
For kids 2 and older, we have special children’s meals on intercontinental KLM flights – at no extra cost. Make sure to order at least 24 hours before departure, when booking your flight or in My Trip. Dinner will be a real treat, with for example a mini hamburger and fries. The precise menu varies per flight but Bluey will be in every meal box - plus a junior pilot adventure game or junior pilot diploma.
We recommend bringing your own baby food. Any restrictions at the airport on bringing liquids do not apply to your baby food. On intercontinental KLM flights, we have only a few special baby meals available. These are free and do not need to be ordered upfront. Every 0-2 year old receives a free Bluey bib.
On board intercontinental KLM flights, every child 2 and older receives a Bluey play set, containing a memory game and tic tac toe, and items such as pencils, a key cord, card game, sticker, baggage label and more. A Bluey eye mask will help your child get some rest. On European flights children receive a Bluey passport holder and an activity book.
On intercontinental KLM flights, every seat has an inflight entertainment set. Bluey will show your child the way to lots of fun. From movies to games – the flight won’t last long enough to try it all.
On both European and intercontinental KLM flights we allow the use of various types of portable electronic devices, such as handheld games and tablets. You just need to set your device to airplane mode or switch off the cellular service.
You can reserve your seats on the seat map when booking, in My Trip, or when checking in online at KLM.com.
- If you are travelling as a family, regular seats will be assigned to you free of charge at least 4 days before departure. We will try to have you all seated together. If this is not possible, we always guarantee that each child will sit next to an adult in your group. Of course you are welcome to select seats for your family at an earlier stage, to ensure that you are all seated together. In that case, we recommend that you use the paid option for regular seat selection.
- If you are travelling with a baby on your lap (max. 2 years on the return flight) you can reserve seats for yourself and everyone in your booking at a fee. If you do not reserve seats yourself, we will make sure to assign suitable regular seats to your family.
For intercontinental KLM flights, on board carrycots can be reserved via My Trip or by contacting us. These are suitable for babies that are no longer than 65 cm and weigh no more than 10 kg on the day of the trip. Although we’ll do our very best, we cannot always guarantee the availability of a carrycot when you board the aircraft.
For each child you may always bring 1 car/child seat free of charge on KLM flights. If you booked a seat for your child, we recommend that you bring your own car/child seat on board.
- The car/child seat must be able to fit between the armrests of the aircraft seat, which is 42 cm (16.5 in) wide.
- Your child and the child seat need to be secured according to the seat manufacturer’s instructions.
- During take-off and landing child seats may be secured in a rear facing position. At cruising altitude they must be placed forward facing to allow recline of the seat in front.
- A child seat may show no defects and must be approved and visibly certified for air transport.
- You will need to reserve the use of a car/child seat in advance. Please contact KLM Telephone Reservations or your local KLM ticket office.
You may also check in the car/child seat free of charge, in which case above rules do not apply.
If you have booked a seat for your child on a KLM flight, you may also use a Child Aviation Restraint System (CARES) on board:
- Your child and the CARES need to be secured according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- The CARES may show no defects and must be approved for air transport and marked accordingly.
- You will need to reserve the use of the CARES in advance. Please contact KLM Telephone Reservations or your local KLM ticket office.
Baggage and buggies
How much baggage can a child bring?
View the free baggage allowance for children per KLM flight and the fees for extra and special baggage
If your child has its own (booked) seat, it may bring the same amount of hand baggage and check-in baggage as an adult.
For a child younger than 2 years of age who will be travelling on your lap, you may bring:
- 1 piece of hand baggage with baby care items weighing max. 12 kg (26 lbs) and with dimensions max. 55 x 35 x 25 cm (22 x 14 x 10 in).
- 1 piece of check-in baggage of max 10 kg (22 lbs). If your child’s baggage is carried in one of the parents’ check-in baggage, this baggage may weigh no more than 23 kg (50.5 lbs) per piece.
For each child you may always bring 1 collapsible buggy free of charge on any KLM flight. If the buggy will not fit under the seat or in the overhead baggage compartment, you can check it in at no extra charge. Where facilities allow for it, you may wheel your child in the tagged buggy to the departure gate. At the gate, the buggy must be handed in for loading. The buggy/pram may have a protective cover but this may not contain any other items.
Children travelling alone
With our Unaccompanied Minor service you can rest assured that your little globetrotter is in very good hands.
Reserving the service is mandatory for all kids aged 5 up to and including 14 years old when travelling without an adult (18+). But you can also (optionally) reserve the Unaccompanied Minor service if your child is 15, 16 or 17 years old and travelling on their own.
Children 4 and under always need to travel with a parent or guardian.