Bring more baggage
On this page:
More baggage at a discount
Is your suitcase a couple of kilos too heavy? Avoid paying the excess weight fee at the airport: simply reserve for an extra suitcase (of up to 23 kg!) online. On KLM.com you always get a 20-50% discount!
For flights within Europe on which only hand baggage is free, you pay online EUR 25 (airport price: EUR 35) for a suitcase (of up to 23 kg) per flight. Flying Blue Ivory members pay EUR 15 (airport price: EUR 17,50) per flight.
How to buy extra baggage
You can arrange to bring more baggage at a discount - and even reserve for special baggage such as sports equipment - on KLM.com:
- Booked a flight? Log in to My Trip (you can also pay with Miles!)
- When booking your flight
- When checking in
If several fees apply, they will be added up. Arranging extra pieces of baggage online on KLM.com may not be possible if:
- You will be departing from some airports
- (Part of) your trip is operated by another airline
- Part of your trip will be by rail or bus
In these cases, you will be able to arrange extra baggage at the desk at the airport, at the airport fee.
Sports equipment and other items
You can take some types of sports equipment and other items instead of a suitcase, or instead of an extra suitcase if bought on KLM.com. You do not need to reserve for its transportation in advance.
The following items each can count as 1 suitcase if max. 23 kg (50 lbs):
- Dive equipment (except air cylinders)
- Fishing equipment
- Golf bag
- (Water) ski or snowboard equipment
- Musical instrument of max. 158 cm /62 in (l + w + h)
- Wedding dress
- Other items of max. 158 cm /62 in (l + w + h)
Please note: other types of sports equipment and other items you can only take at a special fee and only after reserving for transportation by calling KLM Telephone Reservations.
Transporting baggage as freight
Unfortunately KLM cannot transport the following:
- Pieces of check-in baggage that weigh more than 32 kg/70.5 lbs each
- More than 10 pieces of check-in baggage per passenger
- Items larger than 406 cm/159 in (l + w + h)
- Special, fragile or other unusual baggage
We recommend contacting a local shipping agent to transport these.