Weapons permits and licences

Firearms and ammunition for sports and hunting purposes may only be transported as check-in baggage. You also need to have the appropriate licences and reserve for transportation in advance.

Reservation, documents and licences

To be able to take firearms and/or ammunition with you on a flight, you will need to take the following 3 steps:

1. Make a reservation via your travel agent or via KLM Customer Contact Centre.

2. Make sure that you have these documents:

3. Apply for a licence from the Dutch customs authorities for travel with weapons and/or ammunition to, from or via the Netherlands (see below).


Apply for a licence to travel with weapons

To gain permission to transport firearms and ammunition, you need to complete an application form for your outward and return trip, and provide copies of the following documents:

  • Passport of the weapons licence holder
  • The weapons licence
  • The invitation or permission of the country in which the hunting will take place

To download the application form for a license to transport firearms, please go to www.belastingdienst.nl 

Application forms are also available from the Dutch customs authorities via the following address:

Belastingdienst, Douane, Centrale dienst voor in- en uitvoer 
P. O. Box 3070

The Dutch customs authorities will return the forms together with a licence and will inform the customs authorities and security department at Schiphol of the transport. This process may take up to 8 weeks.

During your trip, you will need to have the relevant licence forms with you. If you do not have the licences required with you, your firearms and ammunition could be confiscated.


Exceptions: no licence needed

The following passengers do not need to apply for a licence from the Dutch customs authorities:

  • Hunters who are resident in the Netherlands, when they travel to or from the Netherlands and have a valid hunting licence. The firearms in question must be indicated on the hunting licence.
  • Members of a shooting club who are resident in the Netherlands, when they travel to or from the Netherlands and only if they can provide a written invitation or declaration from a shooting club in the destination country.
  • Passengers with an EU passport who are travelling within the European Union and have an official EU firearms pass in passport format. This EU firearms pass must have been issued in the name of the passenger and for the firearm in question. Please note: some EU countries issue firearms passes that do not have the EU reference. Holders of these passes do need to have a licence.
  • Military personnel who are travelling as instructed by the government (NATO, the United Nations).