To be able to take firearms and/or ammunition with you on a flight, you will need to make a reservation via your travel agent or via KLM Telephone Reservations. You will also need a number of licenses:
- A license for the firearm in question
- Import and export licenses for the countries in question
- A filled in and signed declaration for transportation of arms and ammunition(PDF, 24KB)
- A license from the Dutch customs authorities for travel to, from or via the Netherlands (see below).
The following passengers will not be required to apply for a license from the Dutch customs authorities:
- Hunters who are resident in the Netherlands, when they travel to or from the Netherlands and have a valid hunting license. The firearms in question must be indicated on the hunting license.
- Members of a shooting club who are resident in the Netherlands, when they travel to or from the Netherlands and only when they can produce a written invitation or declaration from a shooting club in the destination country.
- Passengers with an EU passport who are travelling within the European Union and are able to produce an official EU firearms pass in passport format. This EU firearms pass must have been issued in the name of the passenger and for the firearm in question. Some EU countries issue firearms passes that do not have the EU reference. Holders of passes of this nature will be expected to have a license.
- Military personnel who are travelling as instructed by the government (NATO, the United Nations).
To gain permission to transport firearms and ammunition, you will be required to complete an application form for the outward and return trip.
Download the application form for a license to transport firearms(PDF, 83KB).
Aplication forms are available from the Dutch customs authorities in Groningen via the following address:
Belastingdienst, Douane Groningen, Centrale dienst voor in- en uitvoer Kempkensberg 12
P. O. Box 30003
9700 RD GRONINGEN
Tel: 0031 88 1512122
Fax: 0031 88 1513182
Opening hours Mo – Thu: 08.00h – 20.00h
Fri: 08.00h – 17.00h (AMS Time)
Please fax the completed forms and a copy of your passport to the fax number indicated above. The Dutch customs authorities will return the forms together with a license and will inform the customs authorities and security department at Schiphol of the transport. This process will take three to five working days.
During the trip, you will be required to have the relevant license forms with you and to produce them when asked to do so. If you do not have the licenses required with you, your firearms and ammunition could be confiscated.