Offering the lowest fare available
We will offer our lowest fares on www.klm.us. Our telephone reservation system, and airport ticket counters in the US will offer the lowest published fare for which you are eligible, and upon request, will identify money-saving alternative itineraries if your travel schedule is flexible.
Notifying consumers of known delays, cancellations, and diversions
We will provide full and timely information on the status of known delays, cancellations, and diversions, within 30 minutes after KLM becomes aware of such a in the status of its scheduled flights by:
Providing real time flight status information via a toll free telephone number (1-800-618-0104), and on klm.com via Live Arrival and Departure times.
Providing, through our gate agents and flight crews, consistent timely updates on the status and causes of delayed, cancelled, or diverted flights.
Delivering baggage on time
It is our intention to deliver your baggage on time. However, in the event that this does not occur, we will strive to return your misplaced baggage within 24 hours. Notify a KLM representative at the airport if you cannot locate your baggage. To check on the progress of your bag, you can trace your baggage online or contact us at 877-477-5134.
Tracing delayed baggage
Special case: Ticket refund within 24 hours of purchase
For the USA only: if you booked a flight on KLM.us, you can apply for a refund within 24 hours after booking (together with any paid option purchased at that time)
Please send an e-mail to: email@example.com, and include the following information:
Mention 'Customer First Program' in the subject line
Flight and Date
Providing prompt ticket refunds
We will issue refunds for eligible international tickets within seven business days for credit card purchases and 20 business days for purchases made by cash or check, following receipt of a complete refund file. For refund assistance:
To request a refund on eligible tickets online, visit the “My Trip” section at www.klm.us Requests for refunds of tickets purchased from a travel agent should be referred back to the agency for processing. Refunds for electronic tickets purchased from KLM may be requested by calling Reservations Sales at 800-618-0104. For questions on how to apply for a refund or to the check status of an existing refund request, call 800-618-0104, M-F 9:00am-5:00pm ET.
Properly accommodating passengers with disabilities and other special needs, including during tarmac delays
Accommodating the special needs of passengers with disabilities is a top priority for KLM. We offer a variety of special services to such passengers, including:
- Transportation to, from, and between gates by wheelchair.
- Boarding assistance.
- Assistance with visual, auditory, cognitive, or mobility impairments while in the airport and on the plane.
- Consideration of your needs during extended tarmac delays.
- Accommodation for certain medical requirements, such as use of an approved Portable Oxygen Concentrator by calling KLM telephone reservations at 800-618-0104. Additional information may be found at www.klm.us under “Prepare for travel”, then clicking on “Physically challenged passengers”.
To ensure the high quality of these services and protection of customer rights, we designate Complaint Resolution Officials (CROs) in all covered airports who are responsible for ensuring services are properly implemented for our customers with disabilities.
We provide detailed information to parents with children ages 5 through 14 who will be traveling alone at www.klm.us, then clicking on “Prepare for travel” and then “Travelling (with) children”. Or by calling 800-618-0101.
Our policies ensure the safety and well being of children traveling alone including:
- Taking care of your child during his or her flight and not releasing a minor traveling alone to anyone other than the person you have designated.
- Providing unaccompanied passenger service for children ages 5 through 14. We also offer a service, for a fee, to children ages 15 through 17 traveling alone.
Meeting customers' essential needs during lengthy tarmac delays
We will provide full and timely information regarding the status of a flight if there is an extreme delay after you have boarded or after the plane has landed, and, if safety and security conditions allow, we will provide for your essential needs such as food, potable water, operable lavatory facilities, and access to medical treatment. For further information, see KLM’s Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays under Legal notices available at www.klm.us
Handling involuntarily denied boarding passenger with fairness and consistency in the case of oversales.
Disclosing travel itinerary and other policies that affect your travel
We will provide you with your travel itinerary and timely and complete information about policies and procedures that affect your travel, including:
- Providing frequent flyer details.
- We will make all important rules, restrictions, and redemption information available on www.klm.us, in our “Membership Guide & Program Rules”, and in the information kits provided to new Flying Blue members.
- Providing aircraft configuration, including seat size and pitch.
- We will provide aircraft configuration and seat width and pitch ranges at www.klm.us, then clicking on “Prepare for travel”, then on “On board”, then on “Seating plans” and through our reservation and airport agents.
- Providing information concerning the important terms and conditions applicable to your travel. Our entire Contract of Carriage is available for your review on www.klm.us
- Providing information concerning changing aircraft on a flight that has a single flight number.
- We will inform you of this change before you book your reservation on the telephone or online, and in writing with your ticket receipt
- Advising of the operating carrier for code-share flights.
- Providing information about cancellation policies.
Ensuring responsiveness to customer complaints
We will acknowledge receipt of written customer complaints within 30 days of their receipt, and will send a substantive response within 60 days of receiving the complaint. For information about filing a complaint, go to “Customer Support”.
Identifying the services KLM provides to mitigate passenger inconveniences resulting from cancellations and misconnects
In order to mitigate inconveniences to you resulting from cancellations and misconnects, we will:
Attempt to contact you, via contact information provided in your reservation or stored in the “ KLM connect service” under “Prepare for travel”, “up-to-date”, about cancellations when the event is known.
Provide meal allowances and hotel accommodations at KLM contracted facilities, based on availability, if you are inconvenienced overnight while away from your home or destination due to a delay, misconnect, or cancellation within KLM's control